Blind from birth, Frank Senior is a native New Yorker and was raised in Harlem where jazz played a major role in his musical career. His style of music is jazz, blues, standards and gospel, ranging from the 1930s to the present. Early on, he was influenced by artists such as Ray Charles, Nat King Cole, and Aretha Franklin.
Prior to Frank’s professional career, he attended the High School of Music and Art, LaVelle School for the Blind, and New York University as a voice major. He eventually followed music a bit later in life, putting voice and acting aside to operate a newsstand, marry, and raise a family. Learn more about his music at www.franksenior.com
1. What led you to meditation?
When I was in school I was looking for anything to take away the stress of failing.
2. What value has practising meditation brought to your life?
It gives me a feeling of hope and a great deal of energy.
3. How has meditation supported you in your professional life ?
If I do it consistently, I get this unbelievable presence of peace and joy of singing.
4. What are the biggest obstacles to your practice?
Thinking that I’ve reached the point of not having to have to do this everyday, and then I stop.
5. What is a quote that most inspires you and why?
“Music is my life and singing is my love!” It keeps me focused and on point.
6. What is a book that has opened you to new ideas and inspired your growth and why?
Can’t answer that one because it’s hard for me to read books that are supposed to inspire. Life experience is my inspiration.
7. What Mindful Music do you listen to (ie. music that grabs your full attention and brings you into the moment.)
Any music that sounds good to me, just depends on the mood.