Attention is the rarest and purest form of generosity
~ Simone Weil
Here’s a guide to the Mindful Dialogue:
- Find a good time when no one is rushing.
- Ask your friend or partner if you can have a mindful dialogue.
- Decide who is talking and who is listening.
- Set a timer for 5 minutes and the listener opens with a question: “What would you like to dialogue about?”
- The speaker has 5 minutes to talk freely about anything they like.
- The listener’s role is to be completely mindful, without talking or responding with thoughts or advice, to what is being said.
- The listener then takes 3mins to reflect back what was heard, without overlaying opinion or advice.
- The speaker then takes a mintue to reflect back what it felt like to be listened to.
- Swap roles and practise again.
- If you are unsure what to talk about, the listener can make up whatever question they like.
Some suggested questions to experiment with:
What do you find intensely interesting?
What makes you feel most alive?
What is something you appreciate most in your life?
What gives your life most meaning?