Although referred to as a grain, quinoa (pronounced keen-wah) is actually a seed and is recognised as a true ancient superfood. I would consider it to be one of the most versatile foods in my pantry, ideal for sweet or savoury meals at any time of day.
But that’s not all. Check out some of it’s other amazing benefits:
- It is amazingly high in protein. In fact it is one of the most protein-rich foods we can eat containing all 9 essential amino acids
- It is gluten free
- It is high in iron, riboflavin, manganese and magnesium
- Strictly speaking quinoa is a seed, not a grain which is significant in that it is easier to digest than many grains
- It has a low glycaemic index
- It is high in dietary fibre
- Once cooked it freezes beautifully. Just freeze in portion serves and defrost, as you need it.
Lately it has come to light that the western world’s increasing consumption of quinoa is having a detrimental effect on the Bolivian farmers who harvest it. Our sheer demand for quinoa has pushed its prices beyond their own means. In light of this I recommend that we buy local where possible. For those of us in Australia, Tasmania company Kindred Organics produces an organic quinoa that is widely available on the mainland.
Steaming Hot Cinnamon Quinoa Porridge
Serves: 2 small serves
½ cup well rinsed quinoa
1 cup almond milk (or milk of choice)
1 tspn cinnamon
Heaped tspn maple syrup, raw honey or rice malt syrup
Place quinoa and milk in a small saucepan and bring to the boil with the lid
on. Once boiling turn the heat down to a simmer and add the cinnamon and
sweetener. Simmer for 12-14 minutes or until the liquid is absorbed and the
germ turns opaque. I typically take it off the stove whilst it still has a slight chew
and let it sit in the saucepan, lid on for a couple of minutes. Fluff up the quinoa
with a fork and spoon into two bowls. Serve with a big dollop of Greek yoghurt,
mixed nuts, fruits – whatever tickles your fancy!
To discover more wholesome, inspiring recipes visit Amy’s website HERE
Amy answers some Mindful in May questions about meditation here.